We carry out driving tests, approve people to be driving instructors and MOT testers, carry out tests to make sure lorries and buses are safe to drive, carry out roadside checks on drivers and vehicles, and monitor vehicle recalls.
We employ around 4,600 people in various roles, including:
- driving examiners, who make sure new drivers have the skills to be safe on the road
- vehicle standards assessors, who test that lorries, buses, coaches and trailers are safe and legal to drive
- traffic examiners, who stop and check that drivers of large vehicles meet safety rules
- vehicle examiners, who stop vehicles at the roadside and check they’re safe to drive
- digital, data and technology professionals, who provide modern and efficient technology and build brilliant digital services
- corporate services experts, who make sure our services run smoothly, including communications, finance, HR, and policy and strategy