Specific Job Description
- Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems.
- Support the definition and/or endorsement of Safety approach and strategy (i.e. approach for WCSP production contract, conversion of Skykeeper to contracted requirement for UAE etc)
- Implementing best practice for domain applicability (Air, Land, Sea, Space)
- Independently analyses and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
- Approves safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements
- Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program.
- They are also responsible for providing independent advice and consultancy to the business on matters associated with the safety.
- Peer review of safety artefacts (ie. Hazard Logs, FTA, FMEA, HAZOP/HAZIP, Event Trees, State Diagrams, GSN, Safety Cases etc.)
- For all certification: Review and approval of relevant appropriate Internal Certificates of Design for Safety considerations. Ensure the coherence and relevance of referenced Safety Case or equivalent, subsequent Risk Assessments. Assure the accepted safety position of ALARP or tolerable with subsequent justification.
- Ensure Statutory compliance of products for product safety (HSAWA, PUWER, LOLER, CE Marking other)
- Ensure Statutory compliance of products for environmental compliance
- Ensure commercial compliance with Safety Standards and requirements
- Safety Assurance Oversight
- Chair and/or attend Project reviews (i.e. Chair TRRs, attend other reviews wrt. 3ENG259)
Functional (Policy, process, Practice)
- Responsible for the Product Safety and Environmental Management Policy, Process, Procedures and Practice within the Company into the overarching company Safety Management System. and for ensuring its implementation to approved projects.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory obligations, national and international standards, DEF STANs and agreed industry Codes of Practice.
- To assume responsibility and accountability for all process outputs as defined under LM Command Media for Head of Safety
- They are expected to liaise closely with the counterpart in ESH (occupational Health & Safety within the business).
- Maintain library of regulatory material
- Engineering PoC for MFC REACH compliance
- SMS Management
- Manage SMS and documentation compliance
- Reporting and Monitoring (Support BCAB metrics – Safety related DRACAS, Safety related CPs, STOP/Safety Notices, Triages/PSRBs)
- Facilitates and conducts Auditing
- Facilitate and management of training and safety promotion within department and across site.
- Independent validation of processes implementation across the site.
- Independency during safety development.
- Independency during safety reviews.
- Support Engineering ROMB (current risks which require Safety input – 27105, 23661, 23662, 61508, RGT104)
- Support Engineering FEP
- Functional management of Safety staff (15 staff members currently)
- BoE generation and review for safety activities (NB. WCSP production contract will be onerous)
- RMT Deployment
- Safety Promotion
- Data Management
- Participates in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions.
- Chair Safety Triage
- Facilitate or Chair PSRBs
- Facilitates Quality Assurance activities (FRB/MRB)
- Troubleshoot/arbitrate on programme issues i.e. deployment into SV to support delivery of K19 Milestone
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
Lockheed Martin (UK) Ampthill is a rapidly changing, dynamic part of the Lockheed Martin Corporation with both domestic and international customers. It consists of three business areas focusing on Vehicles, Special Projects and Mission Support, which provide a variety of products and services to the MoD and other customers including the Warrior CSP, Scout and support to the Land Environment Air Picture Provision capability. We are looking for talented individuals to join the company, in return, we can offer an exciting and challenging career path. Please note that Lockheed Martin Ampthill work a 9 day fortnight with the site closed every second Friday.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 14 years or more of professional experience; or 12 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree. Considered an expert, authority in discipline
- Broad Operational Background (Vehicles, weapons, aerospace etc)
- Sound Knowledge of safety management principles and practice.
- Experience in Functional Safety and SIL complaint systems (i.e. wrt. IEC 61508)
- Safety Responsibility (RACI –Accountability lays with Head of Engineering Integrity/Engineering Director)
- Position in place to satisfy legal and regulatory and contractual requirements, to meet the organisation’s business objective and enable the organisation to meet contractual product safety commitments. Their role is key in ensuring that safety and commercial risks are acceptable (and maintained as such) to the business
- Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives and affect the image of the organization's technological capability.
- Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.