A little bit about us:
East West Rail is a new direct connection, linking communities between Oxford and Cambridge, including Bicester, Milton Keynes and Bedford by rail. Oxford, Cambridge and the communities in between are renowned for their vibrant economy, educational excellence and scientific innovation. They deliver growth and prosperity both locally and for the whole country; connecting these two cities and the communities in between is crucial to the social and economic future of the region.
East West Railway Company was set up to accelerate the delivery of the East West Rail infrastructure and passenger services, bringing faster journey times and easing pressure on local roads. We were set up by the Secretary of State for Transport in 2017 to do things differently. We aim to innovate, positively disrupt, and challenge the status-quo, leading to quicker and more costeffective project delivery, and an improved experience for passengers and the communities we serve.
As we build our team, we’re looking for people with the right skills and mindset so that we can innovate, positively disrupt and set new industry standards. Whether you’ve been working on some of the world’s most exciting rail and infrastructure projects or can inspire us with your ideas and expertise from other sectors, we want to hear from you.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
Negotiate funding for the project and be a spokesperson to the senior management
• Provide direction and guidance for project empowerment, key business strategies and project initiatives
• Identify and qualify project benefits and manage project benefits realisation
• Participate in initial project planning, including developing the project chart and the project scope
• Identify members of Steering Committee and facilitate the work of project management office (optionally)
• Review changes to the project environment, including schedules, priorities, tasks, etc.
• Identify project critical success factors and approve deliverables
• Negotiate with stakeholders to gain consensus when differences of opinion take place
• Involve stakeholders in the project and maintain their ongoing commitment to the project through using communication strategies and project management planning methods
• Evaluate the project’s success on completion
Experience and skills
Extensive experience of applying requirements and benefits management
• Demonstrable experience of leadership roles in major projects, programmes or complex business and change
• Experience of project management frameworks with an ability to apply them successfully on complex projects or programmes
• Demonstrable ability to integrate seamlessly with internal & external stakeholders • Comfortable with ambiguity with an ability to translate technical language to multiple audiences
• An understanding of Sponsorship, and the varying ways that the Sponsorship role can be fulfilled
• A proven ability to influence, at all levels with a high degree of commercial acumen • An excellent communicator with high levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence
• Extensive railway industry experience
• In depth working understanding of rail regulatory environment. Able to adapt programme of work to changing regulatory environment.
• Experience of leading CSM from concept to Entry Into Service
• Sponsorship of major rail project or programme with significant regulated consents
• Understanding of TOCS & FOCS business and operational context
• Detailed understanding of railway system including balancing needs of infrastructure & operational system requirements
• Understanding of passengers needs and customer satisfaction drivers
• Existing network within rail industry
• Fully understands the principles of prevention and evidences safety by design challenges as business as usual.
What we offer:
Competitive base salary
• Up to 20% bonus based on individual and company performance
• Up to 12% employer’s pension contribution • 25 days holiday a year (plus the 8 English bank holidays) + up to 5 days to buy
• Life insurance • Employee Assistance Programme
• Perks platform with hundreds of discounts and freebies
• On-the-spot and annual awards • Advanced learning and development programmes
• Great work-life balance and flexible working opportunities
• Enhanced family-friendly policies • Exceptional IT tools