A new role, helping to integrate the communications approaches of two parts of a fast evolving and exciting project. The EWR project has grown rapidly, and for historical reasons two distinct approaches to communications exist across the two parts of the project. You will be helping us design our long-term strategic approach to bringing the approaches together. Day to day, you will help our delivery partners create a schedule of activity, giving them guidance in strategy, tactics and style. This role covers all areas of communication, but particularly community engagement, stakeholder engagement and media. We’re looking for a highly organized and adaptable person, who can grow in the role.
Reporting directly to the Head of External Affairs, with strong dotted-line into a cross-organisational Sponsorship function.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
• Long term: working with the Head of External Affairs, and supported by colleagues from across the business, you will design our strategy to dovetail the communications approaches of two sides of the project.
• You will work to evaluate the communications progress against what was planned, help our colleagues work more autonomously to solve issues as they arise, while making sure that processes are being followed.
• This means that day to day you will work with the team at the East West Rail Alliance, to understand their delivery programme, and ensure that their communications activity fits with our immediate objectives and the long-term strategy you design.
• You will focus particularly on delivery of Stakeholder, Community and Media engagement – working on a range of activity such as issues management, community newsletters and events, hoardings, press visits etc…
• You will be working with communications teams across our delivery partners, to understand and guide their activity.
• You will also coordinate and collaborate with your colleagues in the EWR Co External Affairs team (particularly Media Manager, Stakeholder Managers, Community Manager) to ensure activity across the project is properly scheduled and aligned.
• Working closely with the Head of External Affairs, you’ll advise the senior team at EWR Co on key issues as they arise, to define and deliver the approach
• Reporting directly to the Head of External Affairs, with strong dotted-line into a crossorganisational Sponsorship function.
• Given the early stage of the project, it is likely that the nature of the role will evolve as the project progresses. The team enjoys working collaboratively and you can rely on support when you need it.
Experience and skills
You will be a motivated self-starter with the ability form strong interpersonal relationships, excellent organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Experience of delivering complex communications activity: experience with local politics, community representatives or media would be particularly useful
• Experience working in and effectively prioritising the long-term strategic, and shortterm tactical communications goals of an organisation
• Experience with major infrastructure projects desirable
• Ability to work collaboratively, with colleagues at multiple organisations
• Excellent organisational, time management and task prioritisation skills
• Ability to create strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Comfortable working on your own initiative, with an energetic ‘can-do’ approach
• A clear, analytic thinker and problem solver, used to exercising good judgment
• Demonstrating the ability to write well for a range of audiences will be an advantage
Education and qualifications Must have: (essential skills)
• Degree level education or relevant experience in the workplace
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral