A fascinating role working across a wide range of communications projects, supporting all members of the energetic, and frenetic External Affairs team with their work. The role will have particular responsibility for the ownership, development, coordination and administration of key department functions. The breadth of the role will enable you to discover and develop skills in all aspects of the communications function. We’re looking for a highly organized and adaptable person, who can grow in the role. Experience of communications or rail necessary is secondary to strong skills and an energetic outlook. The role sits in our External Affairs team, which works to increase awareness and engagement of the project and the business.
Reporting directly to the Head of External Affairs, with dotted-line reporting to other team members on specific projects. Given the early stage of the project, it is likely that the nature of the role will evolve as the project progresses, giving you a broader view and greater responsibility. In addition, ad-hoc activities and duties may be required.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
• Expect to work on every aspect of communications, from event delivery, design and print to media campaigns and content creation
• You’ll be supporting all members of the External Affairs team with their work, including media, stakeholder engagement, community engagement, brand, digital delivery and internal communications.
• With support from us, we’ll also ask you to commission, oversee, and deliver a range of specific projects
• You’ll own, development administer our CRM (Customer Relationship Management) tool
• We’ll also ask you to establish and run a number of critical systems including a campaign tracker, monthly reporting, and our magazine subscriptions
• The team also need support to keep moving, so you’ll work on transport and hotel bookings, expense reports and meeting coordination
Experience and skills
You will be a motivated self-starter with the ability form strong interpersonal relationships, excellent organisational skills and Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent organizational, time management and task prioritization skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and across the business at various levels of seniority
• Ability to create strong relationships with external stakeholders
• Comfortable working on your own initiative, with an energetic ‘can-do’ approach
• A clear, analytic thinker and problem solver, used to exercising good judgment
• Demonstrating the ability to write well for a range of audiences will be an advantage
Education and qualifications
Must have: (essential skills)
• Degree level education or relevant experience in the workplace
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
Great to also have: (desirable skills & experience)
• A demonstrable interest in Communications, Public Affairs or a similar discipline
• Social media experience • Interest in sustainability