Yusen Logistics is working to become the world’s preferred supply chain logistics company. Our complete offer is designed to forge better connections between businesses, customers and communities – through innovative supply chain management, freight forwarding, warehousing and
distribution services. As a company we’re dedicated to a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring everyone who works with us is committed, connected and creative in making us the world’s preferred choice.
We are looking for a Commercial Manager (flexible home/office based, with a requirement for business travel on an as required basis).
The position holder will be responsible for the Tender Management function for International Freight Forwarding within the UK Operating business, across all transport modes and services of air, sea and road.
They will lead and coordinate internal YL resources to support the profitable growth of the IFF business unit. The scope of activity includes but is not limited to analysis of client requirements, solution development (working in-conjunction with solutions design team), articulation of value propositions and commercial options, creation of tender documents, ongoing support and client presentation where needed. The role will also require liaison with external suppliers to negotiate competitive costs and benchmark current service providers in conjunction with the YL Procurement Team.
A Commercial Manager will develop and increase maturity of tender management processes and capabilities to improve Yusen’s competitiveness and support business retention & growth. They will support the pricing solution for commercial opportunities, define a consistent method and templates for all IFF pricing ensuring we have “one way of working”. They will ensure flawless handover of awarded business to operations, as part of a holistic ‘business delivery process’.
1. Commercial offering
a. Responsibility for the maintenance/enhancement of the tender management process, taking into account carrier strategy, target growth strategy, etc.
b. Work with local IFF Operational management to support client and carrier meetings.
c. Evaluate and enhance through pro-active development the competitiveness of Yusen Logistics UK Freight services.
d. Act as the co-ordinator for YLUK in relation to Air & Ocean pricing discussions with RHQ & GHQ.
e. Evaluate and benchmark pricing trends for current business, propose improvements and monitor/review.
f. A strong knowledge of the Freight Forwarding markets understand the principal components and maintain/monitor market changes.
g. Support client meetings in face to face presentations.
a. Leading Freight tenders, executing company strategy with local/group procurement.
b. Work with the external sales teams to provide financially attractive pricing / services for tender responses.
3. Carrier and supplier management
a. Provide support and input to UK and Group teams in the management of procurement programmes for air and ocean services and carrier management.
b. Support where needed carrier review meetings
4. Team Leadership
a. Manage a commercial team by providing clear lines of responsibility and develop a consistent approach.
b. Creating and executing team development plans
c. Conducting performance reviews
• Degree or equivalent experience required
• Experience and knowledge of the Freight Forwarding industry.
• In-depth knowledge of import & export logistics industry sales/operational management.
• Targeting appropriate companies and monitoring sector activity and arranging supplier visits.
• Experience in building a carrier score card system using KPI information.
• Management and monitoring of new business and ad-hoc special projects.
• Experience in developing and leading a team
• Gathering of market intelligence and knowledge regarding competitors.
• Knowledge of emerging markets and summarise opportunities.
• Basic experience of Customs import / export procedures.
• Commercially astute with negotiation skills.
• Good leadership/project management skills.
• Team player capable of both leading and working within a team.
• Development of key strategic relationships.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills
• Planning/production of implementation plans.
• Flexible and proactive approach
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
• Ability to set and meet deadlines – good time management
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Yusen Logistics is an equal opportunities employer, who encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of their personal circumstances. We make our recruiting decisions solely based on the skillset and experience. Diversity allows us to create an inclusive environment, where our employees can strive and grow their potential.