- Be aged 16 – 47 years old (Must attest before 48th birthday)
- Have GCSE at Grade C/4-5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 in English Language and GCSE at Grade C/4-5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 in Maths
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the holder of dual UK/other nationality
- Commit minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training
- Meet the health and fitness criteria
- Pass the Airman Selection Test
- Pass a Fitness test
- Assist in the scrambling of Quick Reaction Alert Typhoon jets to intercept suspect aircraft.
- Keep watch for foreign missile launches and monitor foreign surveillance satellites to warn friendly forces they may be being observed from space.
- Monitor and identify all aircraft flying within UK airspace and throughout NW Europe.
TRAINING YOU’LL RECEIVE
Your career will start with a 10-week Basic Recruit Training Course at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to a military environment. As well as fitness and military training, you’ll also learn about the RAF lifestyle.
The next step is the 8-week Aerospace Systems Specialist Course at RAF Shawbury in Shropshire. Here you will learn about:
- Modern Air Battle Management and its development from the proud legacy of the Battle of Britain.
- The interpretation and operation of complex radar systems.
- Data Links and communication networks: how they work and are used to communicate with aircraft, RN ships and ground stations.
- Missile Warning and Space Surveillance.
- Joint Land and Maritime operations.
- The capabilities of aircraft and weapons systems currently operated by the RAF and its allies.
- You will be trained and examined in a simulated and/or live operational environment.