Electrical, Control & Instrument (EC&I) Technician (3 roles).
Rookery South Energy Recover Facility, near Stewartby in Bedfordshire.
Reporting directly to the Electrical, Control & Instrument Maintenance (EC&I) Team Leader, the EC&I Maintenance Technician will carry out routine, non-routine maintenance and breakdown repair activities safely, efficiently and in line with Covanta procedures, whilst ensuring the facility is operationally compliant with the environment permit.
The EC&I Maintenance Technician is responsible for delivering the engineering health, integrity, performance and commercial availability of the plant in a safe, efficient manner and to complying with all legislation, regulations and policies.
The role of Electrical, Control & Instrument (EC&I) Technician:
- Reporting any Health, Safety and Environmental hazard observations, near miss, accidents, or incidents to the EC&I Maintenance Team Leader.
- The EC&I Maintenance Technician will be required to support H&S monitoring and performance to include safety inspections, plant inspections, plant area responsibilities and partake in routine H&S meetings and forums.
- Work in full compliance with Covanta's Safe System of Work and Site Safety Rules.
- Support the development and review of Covanta's maintenance procedures, safe working practices and risk assessments.
- Participate in facility improvement processes, co-ordinate corrective actions, defect notifications and rectification.
- Collaborate with the operations team to deliver facility Key Performance Indicators.
- The EC&I Technician will be responsible for conducting Proactive (Preventative) and Reactive (Breakdown) maintenance to allow safe reliable facility operation.
- Responsible for the maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair of all electrical, controls and instrument equipment at the facility within their own competence levels.
- Carry out hands on proactive and reactive maintenance activities in accordance with prescribed quality systems, procedures, risk assessments and OEM recommendations.
- Review OEM manuals and create maintenance documentation for EC&I equipment including, maintenance strategies, safe working procedures and technical specifications.
- Take an active role in the development and ongoing management of the facility Computer Maintenance Management System (CMMS) for all maintenance activities.
- Contribute towards the planning and execution of EC&I outage work scopes and maintenance management systems.
- Manage and supervise specialist EC&I contractors for routine and non-routine work and during peak maintenance periods such as outages. Ensure the suitable procurement and management of contractors to the facility site rules and Health, Safety and Environment requirements.
- Self-track personal progress against prescribed plans and identify conflicts, delays and requirements for rescheduling, providing relevant information to the Maintenance Planner.
- Utilise the site Management of Change process to capture all plant modifications.
- Provide adequate EC&I maintenance cover for proactive and reactive maintenance. Available to be called in during emergency situations and plant breakdowns when necessary.
- Ownership of OPEX and CAPEX projects from initial concept through to completion including completing any required Management of Change assessment and documentation.
The EC&I Technician will be responsible for providing suitable supervision to any contracts working for them. Including review and approval of any competency requirements, method statements and risk assessments, quality of workmanship and work reports.
The preferred levels of education are a Higher National Diploma or National Vocational Qualification Level 4 or 3 in a technical or science subject, although relevant other qualifications with energy recovery or large process plant experience will be considered for the role.
A recognised Electrical, Control or Instrument Engineering apprenticeship is desirable.
- Ideally have at least 5 years hands on experience in a medium to large industrial facility.
- Working knowledge of Computerised Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Working knowledge of instrument calibrations, testing and maintenance.
- Industrial plant outage planning and execution is desirable.
- High Voltage equipment experience is desirable.
- Maintenance experience of switchgear, transformers and generators are desirable.
- Working and maintenance knowledge of DCS and CEMs maintenance are desirable.
- Excellent English in terms of written and verbal communication.
- Good levels of IT literacy.
- Ability to read, analyse, and interpret general technical documentation.
- Effectively present technical information to the rest of the Rookery South ERF Team.
- Experience of managing work through a CMMS including the ability to create and evaluate Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
- Use of project planning software.
- The ability to prioritise work to maximise availability and reliability of the plant.
Other skills & abilities:
- Ability to take appropriate safe action on their own initiative or directed to prevent equipment damage and prevent injury to personnel during emergencies or unusual situations.
- Ability to share knowledge and experiences.
- Ability to analyse technical problems and provide effective solutions.
- Performance driven to assist in the improvement of operational performance.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement.
- Flexibility to attend emergency or breakdown call outs
A highly competitive facility level compensation program will be provided to the successful candidate including base salary, performance-based incentive bonus, and additional facility level benefits.